Leaving Cert Virtual Graduation
26th June 2020
TY Virtual Graduation
28th May 2020
9th – 13th March
3rd Year Subject Choice Meeting for Thursday 12th cancelled due to school closure. Information on options can be found here:
- Leaving cert, leaving cert applied and junior cert mock exams are on this week.
- Congratulations to the students of 1B who successfully completed the MS Readathon recently. Class 1B raised an outstanding total of €495 which was donated to Multiple Sclerosis Ireland. Whilst engaging in the MS Readathon 1B also read a total of 96 books combined.
- TY’s have really improved their social dancing skills as seen on Wednesday and were swimming on Thursday evening.
- Well done to 2C class on having a Bake Sale on today Thur 13th Feb at break-time and lunch-time. All Money raised will go to the Peter McVerry Trust.
- TY’s participated in a writers workshop in Crank House on Tuesday. They wrote about wonderful poems and prose about the Shannon, nature, the local chipper & the hallowed GAA Pitch!
- Congratulations to Leanne Mahon, TY2 who has made it through to the Microsoft Office Specialist UK & Ireland Championship Final 2020, in London on 12th June, for her achievements in Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Leaving Cert student Lauren Temple (Lusmagh) receives the Laois Offaly Division Garda Youth Award as a result of a most wonderful act of bravery. Well done Lauren! Well done to LCA1 student Charlize De Jaeger who won an award with Foróige Birr at the Laois Offaly Division Garda Youth Awards in the Killeshin Hotel Portlaoise on 7th February.
Well done to our TY students on the Banagher College Robotics team who came 4th place as t participated in their first event – the Offaly County Council Post-Primary Competition. They got special commendation for being the only school to successfully complete the autonomous coding section of the competition. Watch some of the activity here.
3rd- 7th February
- 1st Year Student, Parent, Teacher Meeting was held on Thursday afternoon.
- TY’s are busy with social dancing on Wednesdays and swimming on Thursdays.
- Our students received their certificates of participation for our first mobility to Slovakia as part of our two year Erasmus + Inside Out project.
- 1st Year Enrolment on Thursday evening 7.30 pm – 9.30 pm and Saturday 10.00 am- 12.30 pm.
- 4 students and 3 teachers are currently in Slovakia as part of the EU Erasmus+ Programme. The 4 students and 3 teachers have had an action packed week in Slovakia. They visited the school, the silver mine in Banská, Terra Permonia Interactive Learning Centre, Copper Mines, learned how to cook Slovakian traditional food and many other activities. See Photo Album
20th – 24th January
- Congratulations to our Senior Camogie Panel who are the Leinster B Champions for 2020. Banagher College: 3-7(16) Borris V.S.: 2-5(11). Chloe Reilly received the Leinster Senior B Cup from Orla Bambury representing Leinster Schools Camogie Council.
- Our U-19 Badminton Boys team are took part in Leinster Championships in Baldoyle Dublin on Thursday.
- Over 20 of our LC1 and TY Physics Students attended the annual Tyndall Lecture for Schools in NUIG on Friday. This year’s Lecture is entitled “ABC of The Universe”.
- Open night was on Thursday. A great display was shown from all subject departments. Our brochure is available to download on the homepage in downloads section.
13th – 17th January
- TY attended a film and music composition workshop in the STEAM room this week where they had a chance to learn about filmmaking, make documentaries & compose their own music. A really creative day! The workshop was facilitated by Ray Keenaghan of Silly Goose Films.
- The U-16 Offaly Badminton Championships were held here in Banagher College on Wednesday.
- Our 5th years went to Dun Laoghaire on Tuesday for FightingWordsIE Workshop. The students got a chance to experience the magnificant public library in Dun Laoghaire.
- 6th Years should open their CAO accounts by Jan 20th in order to avail of discounted rate of 30 euro. Applications opened between Jan 20th and Feb 1st will cost 45 euro. All applicants must open their CAO account by Feb 1st 2020. See more here.
6th January-10th January
- The students of Banagher College would like to thank our former Deputy Principal, Mr. Jordan, for his generosity in donating three picnic benches for our school yard. Go raibh míle maith agat, a chara dhíl.
- On Thursday 2 workshops from the Schools Excellence Fund – Digital took place in Banagher College. Paul Moore Photography demonstrated some excellent insights into the world of digital photography and Ray from Silly Goose Films providing a fascinating videography session for the students from Banagher College, Colaiste Choilm, Colaiste Chiarain, and CBS Mullingar. The schools used mobile video training to create educational content.
- Leinster Junior B Camogie Championship Semi Final Result : Banagher College: 0-6(6) Gorey C.S.: 2-3(9)
- On Wednesday Banagher College TYs were line dancing today under the tuition of Gerry Tynan! Social dancing classes will take place every Wednesday afternoon for the next 5 weeks.
- Our second year students had a video call today with the students from our partner school in Slovakia on Thursday. We are super excited for our trip 27th Jan.
- Banagher College’s Daniel Daly features in the lead photo on the front of this weeks Midland Tribune.
- The John Paul 2 Award students are organising a Christmas collection for St Vincent de Paul. All donations of toiletries, new toys and treats are welcome and can be left into Miss Gleeson’s office.
- Some Hot Chocolate and Chocolate Biscuit Cake Pudding made with Sixth years on Tuesday.
- On Tuesday, 3rd yr students enjoying making crêpes in French Class
- Well done to Banagher College Carol singers in SuperValu on Friday fundraising for St Vincent De Paul. €451.45 was raised.
- Food collection photos from Friday 13th for the Ken Smollen Food Appeal. Elaine and Liam Woods express deep gratitude to the school community for such a great effort. This contributes to the best ever Christmas food collection in Banagher.
- Congratulations to 1st year Art Student Ethan Cusack on winning the School section of the LOETB’s Christmas Card Competition.
- Contratulations to the worthy winners of the 1C Poster Competition Hazel, Cindy, and John. Very high standard by all, well done!
- Reminder the last day for donations to the Ken Smollen Food Appeal is this Friday, 13th Dec. Donations can be dropped into the Office. Thank you for your support.
- Banagher College Carol Singers will be at Supervalu Banagher on Friday Friday 13th from 12pm until 2pm in aid of St Vincent De Paul.
- Well done to all concerned with yet another hugely successful Banagher College Christmas Pantomime. Comhghairdeas libh go léir. See photo gallery here.
2nd – 6th December
During Kindness Week in Banagher College ,we are encouraged to show kindness wherever we go.
- LC1 LCVP, LCA 2 and some LC2 students had a talk on apprenticeships on Tuesday.
- Well done to all those involved in the bake sale in aid of the Peter Mcverry Trust on Tuesday.
- Helen Fitzsimons from Moate Business College gave a presentation to our Leaving Certs on Wednesday.
- Well done to the JCA Horticulture Class who made these Christmas Arrangements in class on Thursday
- A staff christmas meal was prepared by the LCA1 Class today and the Christmas Cakes were made by LCA2’s. Well done to the students and their teacher, Ms. Egan.
- Well done to all our Christmas Carol Singers who provided some lovely seasonal entertainment in Eliza Lodge Nursing Home on Thursday afternoon.
- 3B Class paid a visit to Dáil Éireann on Thursday on their CSPE Trip.
- North Leinster Second Year Football Final: Full Time Banagher College: 5-4(19) Coláiste Naomh Cormac: 7-2(23)
- Banagher College Coláiste na Sionna Transition Year class are busy preparing for the annual Pantomime. This year Jared Madden is producing Robin Hood which takes place on Wed 11th & Thurs 12th December at 7.30pm in the School Hall. Pictured are the cast & chorus of Robin Hood.
- Vincent de Paul: The following donations would be very welcome in the lead up to Christmas. (Toiletries, like soap , deodorant, shampoo and perfume. New toys and treats like biscuits/ sweets etc.) If possible please Leave into Ms. Gleeson’s office for St. Vincent de Paul.GRMA.
- A well written senior hurling report by Banagher College TY Student Sean Finneran was included in this weeks Midland Tribune. Well done Sean!
- Well done to Mr Scales and Mr Lonergan who were on the Laois /Offaly E. T. B. Gaelic Football team which won the first round of the Leinster Junior Inter Firms Football competition in Portlaoise v Abbeyleix Distillery.
- Today’s comfortable win over Cistercian Roscrea in the West Leinster League means that Banagher College U-15 Soccer team qualify for the semi-finals as group winners, where they will face the runners-up in Group B.
- Congratulations to Daniel Daly who has been selected for an RSA leading light special recognition award for his Banagher Access project regarding road safety and disability awareness. Ceremony will be held in Croke Park Dec 11th.
- espite the result, it’s great to see TY Student, Dáire Temple’s Senior Hurling Match report printed in today’s Midland Tribune.
- Top Oil Leinster Senior B Hurling Championship Rd 2: Full Time Banagher College: 1-8(11) Coláiste Choilm Tullamore: 3-20(29) Referee: Kieran Dooley Hard Luck Lads. Thanks very much to Offaly GAA who facilitated both teams with the use of O’Connor Park at short notice today.
- Food Appeal: Ken Smollen Christmas Food Appeal. Will you consider donating? Make sure all families in the Midland have a happy Christmas! Any household foods welcome. Drop off point in the main office in our school.
- Well done to four Art students whose work has been selected to adorn the offices of the LOETB in Tullamore and Portlaoise for the month of December as part of the LOETB’s Arts initiatives in our schools. Students are Meibh Dooley, Christopher Rigney, Kyle Rocke and Eva Noyce.
- Ms Minnock and our Banagher College Junior Debating team have put a lot of effort in preparing for the visit of Coláiste Naomh Cormac for Wednesdays debate. Banagher College are for the motion to ” Ban Private Health Care”
- Our TY’s enjoyed their activity session at Microsoft Headquarters in Dublin on Tuesday.
- This week is Geo Week and to highlight the importance of Geography and understanding the world around us, the theme of this year’s Geo Week is ‘Geographical Education and the World Today’. We will be running a few activities throughout the week. There are two daily activities for everyone to take part in. Riddles – Each day there will be a riddle up on the Geo Week noticeboard by back entrance/lift for all students and staff to enter. Just put your answer and name on a piece of paper and pop it in the box under the noticeboard. One winner will be chosen each day. Video clips – Each day tutors will show a short clip during their tutor time. There will be a short question or task to go with the video. The other activities will take place during Geography classes, these include a 1st year quiz and 2nd year atlas scavenger hunt.
- Congratulations to students Emily, Abhainn, Aishling and Kelly who will be heading to Slovakia in January 2020 as part of our Erasmus+ Inside Out project.
Thanks to Pádraig Larkin who spent the day teaching the LCA2 class weaving and basket making skills. The students worked with willow.
- Heartiest Congratulations to our staff member, Mr. Jim Nolan Banagher College on being awarded a Civil Merit in Farmleigh House Dublin, by fellow Ciarraíoch, Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh.
David from TY won the Digital Media poster competition held during Science Week. Mida, Libby and Róise winners of the TY Digital Video Competition held during Science Week. Thanks to Mr O’ Brien, Ms. Dewane and Ms. McDowall.
- Veronica was winner of the Science Week poster competition.
- Our Banagher College TY Quiz team who participated in the County Battle of the Wits today in Tullamore Library.
- North Leinster Junior Football Result: Banagher College 5-9 Oaklands Edenderry 4-10. Well done lads. Great finish!
- Our TYs are doing a SOAR workshop on Tuesday.
- Congratulations to TY students Caoimhe Kelly and Eilish Naughton, Caoimhe has succeeded in receiving a place in the TY Law Library Programme and Eilish has succeeded in receiving a place in the RCSI Mini Med Programme in 2020.
10th – 15th November
- Stand Up Week– This week we are encouraged to reflect on the power of words / actions and consider how they are affecting others. We are encouraged to be respectful to everyone we meet, in person and on line.Stand up against bullies. Don’t be a bystander, be an UPSTANDER. We need to stand up with our classmates against bullying.Stand Up Awareness week is a time for us to take a stand against LGBTI + related bullying.Homophobia and Transphobia can have a devastating negative impact on the health and wellbeing of students.
- Today sees the 1st ever Youth Assembly on Climate Change in Dáil Éireann where 157 youth delegates will convene and we are so proud that our 5th year student Gráinne Malone is amongst them. She will be involved in The Youth Climate Summit that will be aired on RTE 2 on today Friday Nov 15th with a Live Oireachtas morning address from 9:55-10:35 am and Live Dáil session from 1:40-2:35pm. Many classes had the opportunity to watch this momentous event. Read more here.
- TY Digital Poster Competition organised by Mr. O’ Brien. 5 posters have been shortlisted. The winner will be announced on Friday night Nov 15th at our Climate Change Event in Banagher College which runs from 7pm-9pm. Monday’s entry has been designed by Alannah Larkin.
- Congratulations to LCA 2 students who made the shortlist for the The RealLIFE Science Competition. 9 videos shortlisted will be screened at the Galway Science Exhibition in NUI Galway on Nov 24th. The winners will be announced during the Awards Ceremony! The LCA2 Ag Science video “Why humans can’t digest cellulose in grass” can be viewed here. Well done to all the students involved and their teacher Ms Hassett.
- Some of our teachers participated in STEAM and Digital Learning Workshops in the school on Friday 8th November. The workshops took place in the school’s new STEAM (Science Technology Engineering Arts Maths) room.
- Congratulations to LC1 Student Saoirse Nevin Kenny who won 4 silver medals and 1 bronze medal at the World Championships of Kettlebell Lifting in Serbia last week.
- All 2nd Year parents received a text re ERASMUS exchange. Click here for more information
4th – 8th November
- Kay Mitchell, Maynooth University gave a talk to Leaving Certs on Wednesday November 6th. Students were enlightened on all the courses available in Maynooth University.
- 3rd year christmas exams are taking place this week from Wednesday to Friday.
- On Thursday 7th our second years went on a trip to the Dáil. They had a quick stop in Liffey Valley on the way home!
- LOETB Awards Ceremony takes place in Banagher College on Friday night, 8th November. Congratulations to all award recipients.
- Well done to the Mojo team on their latest video. Watch it here.
- Congratulations to the Banagher College recipients of John Paul 2 Awards in Longford Cathedral with Bishop Francis on October 27th.
- Congratulations to Diarmuid Kelly, TY student who has won a 4-day trip to Strasbourg as part of The Graduate Online Civic Awareness competition! The trip will take place in 2020 and is kindly sponsored by Offaly County Council.
- Congratulations to Daniel Daly, who spoke at the Beyond Limits Summit in Croke Park on Saturday 19th October. Special word of thanks to Gráinne Malone and Ms Cushen for their help also. We are very proud of him! Click here to watch him giving his speech on twitter.
Tá Oíche Shamhna ag teacht! First year pumpkin carvings with Ms Butler’s First Years.
- 62 of our Leaving Cert English students attended a live production of Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” directed by Joe Dowling in the Dean Crowe Theatre, Athlone on Friday 25th October. A nice way to wind down for mid term!
- Some of our 3rd year students made a trip to the Rediscovery Centre, Ballymun on Thursday. The students thoroughly enjoyed their workshop on sustainable design.
- A fantastic day’s fun was had by our First Years in 1A and 1B on Wednesday and 1C and 1D on Thursday, with their LC1 Cairde Leaders at The Planet in Athlone.
- Huge thanks to RSA shuttle staff Alexandra and Tim who facilitated our students on Wednesday with great professionalism. All senior students are experiencing the RSA shuttle and crash simulator.
- Massive thanks to past pupil of LSU Sgt Alan Kerin for co-ordination of all today’s Garda events and RSA shuttle. Huge education and experience for students and staff. Special thanks also to all of the members of An Garda Síochána who gave up their time today to drop in to Banagher College and well done to Ms Cushen for all her work in organising the day’s events.
- Our second year boys played Gallen Community School in the North Leinster Boys Football on Tuesday. Full time score: Banagher College 2-10(16) Gallen Community School: 1-7(10). Well done Boys- great win!
- The German Exchange students along with their teachers and Irish partners enjoyed a glorious day at the beautiful Cliffs of Moher followed by a trip to Galway city. A great day was had by all.
- Last year’s TY students receiving their Bronze Gaisce Award recently.
4th – 18th October
- Our Leaving certs and TY students went to the UL Open Day on Thursday.
- First Year students participated in a coding workshop with the TY Coder Mojo team as part of CodeWeek EU, which runs until 17 October. All first years are participating in a 3 hour Introduction to Coding workshop to mark the week.
- On WEdnesday, three students Kieran, Eanna and Paddy represented Banagher College in the North Leinster Junior stroke play in Tullamore golf club today. Well done!
- TY’s participated in Defibrillator training on Wednesday. Local First Responders Donal Moran, Damien Kinahan and Jackie Duffy delivering CPR training to TY students on National “restart the heart “day.
- CA students having CPR training from local first responders Damien Kinahan, Jackie Duffy and Donal Moran. Thank you to our 3 local volunteers who are providing an essential life saving service and creating life saving opportunities for our students into the future.
- Now that the dust has settled on our Second Year trip to Barcelona, it’s time to say thanks to the teachers. Seven teachers took on the huge responsibility of leaving their own families, to look after and care for 65 students in a foreign country. Míle Buíochas daoibh go léir.
7th – 11th October
- On Thursday, World Mental Health day, our TYs attended Zeminar, a Wellbeing & Educational event in the National Sports Campus, Dublin, with influential speakers, resources & fun activities!
- Our 2nd years are on school tour to Barcelona from Early Wednesday until Saturday. Many activities have been arranged including a tour of Barcelona, a visit to Sagrada Familia (Church of the Holy Family), Cosmo Caixa Science Museum, and tour of the old City of Tarragona. Click here to see photo gallery.
- Our First Year Boys are took part in a First Year Blitz in The Faithful Fields.
- Well done to our first year team who came in 3rd at the Credit Union Quiz on Tuesday night in Clara. Congratulations on representing Banagher College and thanks to Miss Minnock for accompanying the students.
- Well done to all our Class Prefects who received their Prefect Badges at Opening of the School Year Mass in St Rynagh’ Church Banagher on Tuesday.
- A huge thank you to Grennans of Rath for showing our Leaving Cert Ag Science class around the factory today on their Ecology trip.
30th September- 4th October
- One of our Higher Irish Leaving Cert classes went to see “An Triail” in The Belltable Theatre in Limerick City o Tuesday.
- Our Senior Cycle Art students enjoying themselves in Newgrange Co Meath also on Wednesday.
- Score from the Top Oil North Leinster Junior B Hurling Championship Rd 2- Full time score: Banagher College: 1-5(8) Coláiste Mhuire Mullingar: 4-15(27).
- Well done to our students who came 11th & 8th in Cross Country recently. Callum goes forward to represent Offaly cross country.
- Result from Leinster Junior D Ladies Football Round 2: Full time Banagher College: 6-8(26) Oaklands C.S. Edenderry: 6-9(27)
- Banagher College LC2 LCVP students went on a visit this week, to Butlers Chocolate in preparation for their LCVP exam.
- On Thursday our Junior ladies football team played in the Leinster Junior D Ladies Round 1. Final score- Banagher College: 4-4(16) Killina Secondary School: 5-11(26).
- On Thursday, Daniel Daly and Gráinne Malone were in Tullamore participating in SICAP “Make way day”. They are heading out to walk Tullamore town in search of inclusion and obstacles.
- Our Junior Camogie team played in the Leinster Junior B Camogie Seven-a-Side FINAL on Wednesday. Scores- Banagher College: 8-7(31) Castlecomer Community School: 9-10(37), Banagher College: 9-3(30) Coláiste Mhuire Johnstown: 6-3(21), Banagher College: 5-5(20) Castlecomer Community School: 6-3(21), Banagher College: 6-6(24) Abbey Community College: 1-0(3)
- Our Junior Hurlers will play an away challenge game v Mountrath CS who will be competing in the Leinster Colleges Junior A1 Competition this year. Banagher have remaining away games v Col Mhuire Mullingar & Col Choilm Tullamore in the North Leinster Junior B competition.
- Our Sixth Year and Third Year Students attended a very beneficial Study Skills Seminar with The Super Generation team this week. This will provide some excellent guidance for the year ahead.
- Banagher College TY’s were in NUIG on a campus tour on Monday.
- Leinster Junior B Camogie Round 1 was played on Monday. Full time score- Banagher College: 5-10(25) Mountrath CS: 2-4(10).
16th- 20th September
- Banagher College Students attended Higher Options in the RDS on Thursday. They attended a Lecture on “Going to College in Europe”.
- On Tuesday our Ag Science students who just enjoyed a glorious day at the Ploughing Championships in Carlow.
- Well done to Leaving Cert pupil Sinainn Glynn, who was competing in the European Boxing Championships last week and reached the quarter final. Sinainn will be underage again next year.
- Leaving Cert and 5th yr Art students travelled to Limerick’s Hunt Museum for a visit on Tuesday.
- Our Four volunteer students who were in Lourdes doing great work with the pilgrims. They meet up with Ian Daly and Ciara Kilmartin who are out in Lourdes for the second time. Well done to all!
- Our German Exchange students bid farewell to Germany on Monday. Tschüss Gymnasium Hohenschwangau! It was an amazing experience. pictures to follow.
- Junior Hurlers won their first game of the year. Full time score- Banagher College: 4-14(26) Heywood C.S.: 2-16(22)
9th -13th September
- Our Camogie Season begins on Friday when Coláiste Pobail Ros Cré will be our guests for a Junior Camogie Challenge at 12.10pm in Banagher College.
- Our Hurling Season also begins on Friday when our Junior hurlers travel to Portumna for a Junior Hurling Challenge at 11.00am v Portumna C.S.
- Best wishes to our four Banagher College Students who are travelling to Lourdes thursday with The Oblate Youth Ministry to assist pilgrims over the next seven days.
- Sixteen of our pupils and two teachers travelled to Hohenschwangau near the town of Fussen in Bavaria on their German Exchange Tour from Monday 9th to Monday 16th. Gute Reise! Click here to see more Photos here
- Our Leaving Cert Geography students travelled to Bishop’s Quarter Beach, Co. Claire on their Geography Field Trip on Tuesday.
- Well done to Finn Gohery (Galway) and to Korbin Dolan & Eric Rigney (Offaly) who represented their respective counties in the Sonny Walsh U-14 National Hurling Tournament in Waterford recently.
- Thanks to “Horizon Training” for visiting our school on Tuesday and Wednesday to provide essential First Aid training for all our Transition Year Pupils.
- Preparations are well underway for the LOETB County Sports in The Harriers Tullamore on Thursday October 3rd. Trials on Wednesday for U-15 running squads.
- Well done to staff member, Miss Morkan on her television interview at the All Ireland Camogie Final. https://twitter.com/nuiggaa1/status/1170728322684379139
- LC1 pupil Christina Maloney welcomes new Offaly Senior Hurling manager Michael Fennelly to Offaly to get his first taste of Senior Club action!
2 Sept-6th September
- On Wednesday 2C visited Ardnacrush Power Plant and the 3A group went on Thursday. See photo gallery here
- Our TY’s started the year on a team bonding trip to Bay Sports Athlone on Tuesday. See photo gallery here
August/ September 2019
- We welcomed our new 1st years on Friday 23rd. They had a busy day and finished up the afternoon with a table quiz with their Cáirde leaders and tutors. Well done to the winners!
Well done to Daniel Daly who spoke on RTE Radio One on 20th August at the launch of Ireland’s Disability Summit in Croke Park. Click here to watch the interview.